Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A docent portrayal.

I played host this past weekend for my brother and sister-in-law. They had Monday off so they came down for the weekend and we hit up MSI, the Field, and the Shedd. Good times were had by all.

MSI needs to be renovated. I mean a complete overhaul. I had been there two years ago and I liked it then but when I saw it this time I realized how rarely they update anything. A good hint is how all the computers and videos have the obvious imprint of the 80s on them. Of all the types of museums in existence a science museum should be updated most regularly to stay current.

The Field is the same as it always is, interesting and large yet somewhat tedious at times. I do enjoy myself there but it is the museum I visit most often with guests due to its location. The nature/animal section seems to go on for miles. Sue is still there and she is still a beauty. The Egyptian tomb remains unchanged, which might be an interesting commentary on something if I could piece together a decent analytical sentence.

The Shedd was enjoyable as always. They provide a good mix of things so that you are not just looking at fish tank after fish tank. The lizard exhibit was exceptionally well done but as always the best parts are the otters and penguins. Scariest exhibit were the ants after Cass educated me on exactly how these particular ants would kill me.

A note of chauvinism: The Field has an overabundance of hottie hot hots. I do not know why this is but the other two museums were far behind in the physical attractiveness of patrons, and that's not just because I was there.

4 comments:

Oliver said...

ahhh, talent spotting at the museum. classic.

Colossus Prime said...

Proof that I've been with Katie too long... I didn't notice a single hottie all weekend.

TaylorStreet said...

sometimes, I like to pretend to be a famous scientist at museums,and give impromptu lectures on the exhibits, sprinkling fictional factoids throughout.

marthamatters said...

Colin, does the camera ever stop rolling?