Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Point and laugh



I had an Ultimate tourney this past weekend but it was disappointing so I don't want to go into it, which is fortunate for those of you who don't care to read it.

A huge story in the world of real sports happened this past weekend. Tom Brady went down with a season ending injury to his knee. This made me think of two things: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia starts soon (Season 3 DVD out now! Hell yes.) and the nature of schadenfreude.

For some reason I associate schadenfreude with hipsters and yuppies of our generation. I don't really see it in the baby boomers, although it almost certainly exists. Our generation is defined by cynicism, and for some reason this goes hand in hand with schadenfreude.

I don't have any real good explanation for why schadenfreude exists. I just accept it as being. This makes it difficult to determine if it is wrong. It may just be normal. I don't consider myself above it. I have had my moments.

I think I've decided that I am happier in a world with schadenfreude. If every story about Tom Brady's injury was teary-eyed it would be a cotton ball world that would be far too annoying. Also, they wouldn't allow drugs there.

Suck it, Pretty Boy.

2 comments:

Jay said...

-No one is surprised that someone who likened their blog to pratfall would enjoy schadenfreude

-I like the title of your previous blog

-Speaking of your previous blog, who said the quote about your beard, tell them they are funny, then go shave, hippie

Colossus Prime said...

The comment about his beard came from J. One of the days while Caleb was staying at my place I left to help a friend move. Our friend J showed up and asked if Caleb still had his beard. I couldn't remember since to me it's just there, and the beard thing was his response to my uncertainty.

Caleb, I dare you to shave it without telling Cass and just see how long it takes her to 1) realize it, and 2) kick your ass.