Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Unnecessary Movie Review: The Wrestler


Colin (Last name removed to protect something or other. Ask Cass.) saw the movie the Wrestler along with myself and Cass, who watched the movie with Colin. Colin did not hang out after watching the movie the Wrestler with us but Colin did stick around long enough to watch the movie the Wrestler with us.


The movie is very good. I am interested in watching The Fountain because thus far every Aronofsky movie has been so different and kind of insane in a unique way.


Rourke totally deserved the win for best actor. He was great and totally immersed himself in a role he was probably too adept to play. Tomei was good and Wood was good. The only acting that wasn't great were the wrestlers but they aren't paid to act. Wait...


The story moved well and didn't labor any points. I felt disconnected from a lot of the self-destructive things he did because I am so used to seeing wrestlers do bad things to themselves. Cass was very uncomfortable with certain parts and I honestly can't blame her. The scenes weren't there to show something normal happening. They were to show a guy at his job and that his job makes him do crazy things to his body.

Cass and I both thought the movie might make me cry. It did not. Not because it wasn't emotional or because I didn't feel for the characters. It felt familiar to me because I am a wrestling fan. The movie felt real to me. This is best endorsement I can give.


The soundtrack was amusing because it is mostly 80s metal throughout and then an incredibly beautiful track from Bruce when the credits show up. It is kind of a jarring transition but it fits the film really well.


Overall, it was a really good movie but not because I am a wrestling fan. It was a good movie because it was a good movie.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would say it was a pretty darn good movie. I would not be opposed to Mickey Rourke winning an Oscar for it. And Bruce too, of course.

----- the guy who gets named like four times in the first paragraph.

jessicaehorn said...

Gabe wanted to see this movie for his birthday. We are still rocking the "Ram Jam" moves! I think Mr. Rourke was born to play this role. What do you think happened in the end?