Thursday, January 25, 2007

You gotta take money to make money.

Haven't posted in a while. Read my previous two posts to find out what I've been busy with.

First frisbee practice in a while last night. Sprinted hard and had a good time. My legs are sore.

Checked out the NYTimes today. This article caught my eye. Seems Ford didn't do so well. That's what they get for relying on SUVs and Pickups. "The biggest blow to Ford in recent years has come from rising gasoline prices, which depressed sales of the big pickups and sport utility vehicles it depends on for profits." No shit.

I started thinking about this though, not about Ford or gas prices but the dollar figure itself. $12.7 billion dollars. That's a lot of money. I started to think about how much money this actually was and I've come to the following conclusions: a) I'm curious to know how many countries have a gross domestic income less than what Ford lost, and b) I would be an awesome rich guy.

Louis C K has a great bit about this where he talks about Bill Gates and all the crazy stuff he could do with his money. He says "If I had that much money, I wouldn't have it for long because I would just think of all the crazy stuff I could do with it." This is how I feel. To give you an idea of how much money this actually is, think of it this way:
At $100/hr for an entire year you would make $100*40*52 = $208,000 in a year. That is just over one hundred thousandth of $12.7 billion. You could sit in the champagne room of a strip club for eight hours a day, every work day, for an entire year at $500/hr and still only spend about one ten thousandth of your money.

List of crazy things I would do with this much money:
-buy an island, build a mansion on it, and then blow the whole island up using military grade explosives
-make a movie adaptation of "Progress the Monkey"
-make a movie adaptation of "Buzby, Berkeley, and Katrina"
-buy a blimp and use it throw pinatas out onto Michigan Ave during holidays
-buy a major newspaper and include one made up story somewhere in the paper everyday, but do not tell your writing staff or your editors; when/if confronted, insist that the stories are true no matter how ridiculous they are
-buy a custom made Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster; I know that's not ridiculous, I just love that car

This is just a short list. I could keep going but I have work to do. Imaging if Ford had done any of these things instead of making cars.

First soccer game tonight. I'm pumped.

3 comments:

TaylorStreet said...

well, you'd be making a knockoff of the Busby, Berkeley, and Katrina film, because Warner Bros. has just started development on the original project. It may force MegaMart to cut short their time in the UK, but luckily for you there is a rather sizeable role that we think you're perfect for.

Yup, you guessed it: it's the neighborhood chimpanzee, Micawber, who has a quirky love of 19th century French physics and Venezuelean motocross.

Get ready for the screen test sucka.

Megan said...

Tsk. You guys are sooo lame. Meeow.

Martin K. said...

This sounds like the best idea ever! I'm really really gonna try my really hardest to play myself. Woof.