Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Unnecessary Movie Review: Spider-Man 3

I decided to hold off doing this review until I was sure how I felt about the movie.

Overall, the movie was lacking in story. The previous two movies were visually pleasing and involving. This one had me feeling disinterested for the most part. It is still visually pleasing and some of the fight scenes would be the best in the series if the train scene in 2 didn't exist.

Goodness:
-Action scenes were well done.
-CGI is the best of the three films
-Bruce Campbell is all kinds of great.
-Bryce Dallas Howard makes Kirsten Dunst look like an elfish shrew.

I have a lot of problems with the film but it probably has a lot to do with expectations. I think a second viewing might lighten my stance on some of these things. The crying needs to go. This is actually my second biggest complaint about the film. My biggest?

Spoiler Alert. Skip to the bottom if you have not seen the movie and want to be surprised.







I was hoping the previews were misleading in some way but they were not and Sandman is actually responsible for killing Spider-Man's Uncle Ben. This irritates me to no end. In some sense Peter is still responsible for his death because the other robber was involved, but it still destroys part of the origin story and motivations for Spider-Man. I am not happy about this change.

For those who think I just don't get it, believe me I do. Absolution for Peter's actions as Venom had to come in some way but I didn't think this should be the way.







End Spoiler

Overall I didn't enjoy the movie all that much when I saw it. I am willing to give it a second chance. It's still better than half of the comic book movies made so far.

4 comments:

Serpen Phlox said...

Go home Sam and let Guillermo del Toro (pan's labyrinth) make SM4

Oliver said...

I agree Caleb. Was poorly directed, boring. I liked Bryce Dallas Howard too. I thought the CGI of spiderman, as in the previous movies, was pretty shit.

Watch the 2-part cartoon of this storyline on alluc.org, it's much better.

TaylorStreet said...

yep, time for a new post.

sir henry oglepants said...

what??? 3 was much better then the first (of course not as good as two, but then what is)? as for the cgi... rewatch the star wars prequels or the matrix trilogy for "pretty shit" cgi. and as far as the rest of oliver's comment, i can safely say, they were trite and uninspired... "oh i'm oliver i'm soooo above it all." that's my impression of him. oliver suck a big fat hairy one... on me. go watch reruns of monty python on bbc five you elitist prig.