Saturday, September 16, 2006

Family Movies

Don't know why this is on my mind, but it is, so nyah. Here are the top five movies of my family. This isn't a list of our individual favorites. It's a list of five movies that we watched together that we all enjoyed and anytime one is on, we'll call eveyone into the room or think about everyone who isn't with us at the time.

1) Stalag 17
Wonderful performances, highlighted by William Holden's Oscar winning performance. While I saw The Great Escape first, this movie really explained to me why POW's do the things they do.

2) Harvey
For anyone out there who doesn't understand why Jimmy Stewart is so beloved by my parent's generation, this movie explains it better than any words I type could. I'll end my argument with my favorite quote from this, or possibly any movie:
"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

3) The Gods Must Be Crazy
Why is this movie funny? I have no idea. I don't know how to explain the humor of this movie. It's hard to convey, but it crosses demographics since all members of my family laugh when this movie is on. Anytime I see an empty bottle on the street I think of hurling it off the end of the world.

4) The Magnificent Seven
Maybe my mother hates this movie. She might purposely be in the kitchen whenever it's on. Too bad the rest of us love it enough to make up for her even if she does hate it. Steve McQueen's nonsequitors throughout the movie are a special treat for us.

5) Fantasia
I have no idea why I distinctly remember being excited to go see this movie with my brother and my father. I don't know why my mother remembers so many parts of this movie. I don't really know. It snuck on this list, and seems appropriate.

No comments: