Monday, August 06, 2007

Unnecessary Movie Review: The Simpsons Movie

The biggest issue seems to be what to expect when going to see this movie. I approached it with cautious optimism, which I think is the best way to go about it. I didn't expect it to be the same as the classic seasons, but I did expect it to be better than the recent seasons. In this endeavor, I believe the film succeeds.
The movie starts out very strong and stays consistently good for the first half hour. The middle portion of the movie drags a bit but there had to be space to include some story. There are laughs in the middle but just not as frequent or as loud. I found the finish to the movie to be a bit over the top, but in retrospect it is perhaps appropriate given that it is the Simpsons MOVIE.
I have very few complaints about the film. Some of the story elements were a tad trite (Homer and Marge having a crisis of devotion) but they were done effectively I suppose. Some ancillary characters could have used more screen time, most notably Mr. Burns. I should not complain though since he gets the last line of the movie and it is my favorite.
All in all, the movie is good. It satisfied my expectations. It didn't blow me out of the water and reinvigorate my love of the series, but it felt like watching several very good episodes. I'd recommend renting it instead of seeing it in theaters because watching the Simpsons at home feels natural.
Favorite part: The last line like I mentioned. Also, the intro with Ralph set a very good tone for the film.

3 comments:

TaylorStreet said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I look forward to it. I did see the new Bourne and it was awesome. Maybe I should go blog about it.

Chicago's Earth Team said...

maybe you should go back to work. ha. jk i love you. ch

marthamatters said...

Technically, Maggie had the last line.