Saturday, November 11, 2006

Borat: A Terrible Movie

Not really, but that title is way funny.

Not to just repeat what Colyn said, but it really wasn't great.

For the most part the segments that were the lamest relied on people's good nature and seemed to mock them for it. Their general attitude was to be polite and friendly and when he would be a jerk they would grin and bear it. You could tell they wanted to say something but they also didn't want to come across as bigots so they restrained.

He also relies on crass humor too much. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by revealing that there is a naked wrestling fight in the movie. Colin got it right when he said "should have been a few minutes at most" but it seemed to stretch for a solid fifteen. Whether this is true or not I am not sure.

There are funny moments. Showing frat boys and rednecks to be who they are around foreigners is amusing. However most of the glowing praise is coming from people who have never seen the show, making the whole gimmick novel to them. It isn't to me, and quite frankly the ten minute segments on the show seemed forced as well.

We went to the movie on Thursday. I worked at a job all week (huh?) for the first time since I was blah blah nostalgia. I get to go to a beautiful office downtown on occasion that amazes me everytime I step in. The accoutrements of our current employer's office are unreal for someone like me who spent his entire adult life in academia. And lower echelon academia for the most part.

Played poker last night. Lost $10 to O'Hollaran (sp?) like usual. I think he only comes back into town to talk us into these games and make us look foolish. He's having a good week.

1 comment:

Megan said...

You ARE playing poker. Liar!
Also, your Borat review was accurate.